Wednesday, August 05, 2009

NDP - Pledge Moment

National Day 2009 is just round the corner.

It's hard to believe that Singapore has turned into a concrete garden from the olden days of swamps, kampong, villages in just a short 44 years time.

This year's NDP theme is on Our Pledge. How I miss morning assembly during primary and secondary school days. At least it's the period of time that I truly feel patriotic about Singapore. Now that in Poly, there's no more National anthem, no more pledge, you actually miss all of these.

I wonder how many Singaporeans have actually know how to sing the anthem and even recite the pledge?
I dare to say out loud now here that: I sing out my national anthem loud and clear in audible voices every saturday. And recite the pledge without missing any words. (:

I LOVE Singapore. Because it is safe. This is where I'm born and no matter what, I doubt I will change my nationality at all. Where on Earth would you find a place like Singapore at all? It may be small. But it has everything it required. :)


Just went to check up on our Pledge. It written in 1966 by our 1st Minister of Foreign Affairs, S.Rajaratnam. I love the intention behind our National Pledge. This is what the website says:

"Rajaratnam’s inspiration was to build 'a Singapore we are proud of', while emphasising unity and multi-racial harmony. He believed that language, race and religion were potentially divisive factors, which could be overcome if Singaporeans cared enough about their country."

National Pledge:
We, the citizens of Singapore,
pledge ourselves as one united people,
regardless of race, language or religion,
to build a democratic society
based on justice and equality
so as to achieve happiness, prosperity and
progress for our nation.



Lastly,I love this advertisement on TV regarding this Pledge moment.



Would you be part of this?

Let's join the Pledge Moment on 9 August 2009 at 2022pm. Be proud of Singapore. (:

No comments: